Welcome to Building Operations Weekly
In September, all of Building Operations took part in a discussion about communications—what was working and what we could improve. One of your great ideas was to work on providing information by digital signage and email.
We have been working behind the scenes with an IT company that is helping us to rework our digital signs following the demo most of you saw in our face-to-face meetings. When we are done, information will go into the new software, which will publish it to the screen, e-newsletter, and a print version for hand-out in custodial.
For now, this newsletter is preview of what’s coming. By early next month this will become an integrated part of our new information sharing system.
Please, take a read through this first edition and send your feedback to Chris.Freek@ubc.ca.
EAOS is coming
A new program called EAOS—Enhanced Assets, Operations and Services —will be launched at the end of January. The goal of this program is to help us find a better balance between the proactive and reactive maintenance needs of the Point Grey campus. We want to be regulatory compliant, meet contractual obligations, and reduce asset ownership cost and failures.
The first activity of this program is to document what we are doing now through a current state analysis. Then we will document best practices out in the wider world and analyze the gaps between what we are doing and best practice. Then a recommendation will be defined, discussed, approved, and implemented.
To be successful we will need your expertise and will be asking for your help. Stay tuned for more details on how you can get involved. People involved in asset management will attend an interactive town hall on Friday, January 23, 8:00 – 9:00 am, Hebb Room 100.
Scott Jackson celebration of life
Sadly, we must announce the passing of our custodian Scott Jackson after battling an illness last year. A celebration of life will be held Friday, January 16, 1:30 to 3 pm at The Legion in Kerrisdale, 2177 West 42nd.
Welcome Denise Tang
Joining us from the Bookstore, Denise Tang started as clerk 4 on January 12th. There will be a one week turnover with Gitanjali Gill who we wish all the best in her future endeavours.
New buildings coming our way
We have a significant number of New Buildings coming on line at the Vancouver campus scheduled for completion in 2015. These include:
- New SUB – March 2015
- Alumni Centre – April 2015
- Engineering Student Centre – May 2015
- Library PARC – June 2015
- Ponderosa Commons Phase 2 – September to December 2015
- Baseball Training Facility – November 2015
- Hot Water Conversion – December 2015
- Vancouver School of Economics (Iona building renovation) – December 2015
- Please be aware of purchases in US dollars. The current exchange rate is nearly 20% on costs.
- We’re involving SHHS in the hiring process of new employees.
- Purchase of a new recycling truck is being finalized.
- New Landscape Tech, Erin Buzza, will start January 19th.
- Easy Tug and carts to be purchased for Custodial for the compactors at MacLeod.
- First of 3 big belly solar bins now installed and operational at the trolley bus loop.
- UME and OE crew are continuing to perform a 24-hour monitoring of the CCM boilers until monitoring equivalency can be granted by the BC Safety Authority.
- Staff should be aware of the students around campus and be cautious while driving vehicles or equipment around campus.
- We have begun discussions on the best approach for UBC to managing maintenance requirements on customer supplied equipment.